I love chocolate!
I cannot deny this fact.
Cats love chocolate. They will eat and eat if you leave it out for them.
The problem is this. If your cat ate chocolate be aware that chocolate contains chemicals that can make a cat seriously ill or worse, even fatal. Very similar problems occur with other food products including onion and garlic.
What’s bad about chocolate?
The cocoa bean contains an ingredient called theobromine which effect cats in at least 4 differing ways. You may expect this is your cat ate chocolate.
- Its a diuretic so it causes an loss of body fluids
- Heart rate is increased because its a stimulant
- Plays havoc on the nervous system
- Causes stomach problems including diahrrea
Symptoms when my cat ate chocolate
It depends on the amount of chocolate eaten but prepared for cat vomiting, diahrrea, nausea, seizures, frequent urination, and irregular heartbeat.
Wow! All of that just from a little chocolate.
Yes. And if your cat ate dark chocolate or even lots of chocolate. It could be worse! Coma or death are very real possibilities.
Now these symptoms may not appear immediately. It may take a day or two for signs to show. Many cats upon feeling ill will go to a safe quiet spot. So if you know your cat ate chocolate you should contact your vet immediately.
How will the Veterinarian treat my cat?
The veterinarian will first assess the severity of the poisoning. Including determine how long it has been since he ate the chocolate. The veterinarian may induce vomiting by administering activated charcoal to halt or slow the poisoning.
Additional treatments may include medications for tremors and seizures. Monitoring heart rate and breathing assistance with artificial ventilation.
Take the box or bar of chocolate with you so the veterinarian can estimate how much was consumed. If you just say a little or about this much, not so helpful. Everyone’s opinion of a little is different.
Other Helpful Ideas
You need to know about other toxins and poisons that can be harmful to your cat. Top 10 poisons for your cat you need to know.
Don’t feed your cat little nibbles of table scraps. These are wonderful for us but may have ingredients that can hurt your kitty.
If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call
ASPCA Animal Poison Control (888) 426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline 855-764-7661